Działalność polskiej placówki dyplomatycznej na Węgrzech (1946-1956)
MetadataShow full item record
The PhD thesis presents the activity of Polish diplomatic post in Budapest in the first post-war decade. It was founded in 1946 to organise the repatriation of Polish refugees and control potential supporters of opposition in Poland and the Government in Exile. In 1946-1948 diplomats tried to influence the development of Polish-Hungarian relations. After the consolidation of communists' rule in 1948 the role of diplomatic post was limited. Its main task was to collect information about political, economic, cultural and social aspects of life in Hungary. What is more, it was obliged to control its personnel and Polish diaspora in Budapest. The attitude of Polish diplomats was changed by the events of „Polish October” and Hungarian Revolution in 1956, when Polish diplomacy changed its direction and became more independent.